[mapserver-users] error building mapserver 3.6.3 on OS X 10.2

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Thu Oct 10 00:46:04 EDT 2002

while make-ing, the program ends with the following --

ranlib libmap.a
ranlib: file: libmap.a(mapthread.o) has no symbols
gcc -c -O2  -Wall -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA  -DUSE_EPPL -DUSE_PROJ
-DUSE_PROJ_API_H -DUSE_WMS    -DUSE_JPEG -DUSE_GD_PNG -DUSE_GD_JPEG
-DUSE_GD_WBMP -DUSE_GD_FT        -I/usr/local/include
shp2img.c -o shp2img.o
gcc -O2  -Wall -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA  -DUSE_EPPL -DUSE_PROJ
-DUSE_PROJ_API_H -DUSE_WMS    -DUSE_JPEG -DUSE_GD_PNG -DUSE_GD_JPEG
-DUSE_GD_WBMP -DUSE_GD_FT        -I/usr/local/include
shp2img.o  -L. -lmap -lgd -L/usr/local/lib -lgd -ljpeg
-L/usr/local/lib -lpng -lz  -ljpeg  -L/usr/local/lib -lpng -lz -lproj
-ljpeg          -lm   -o shp2img
ld: Undefined symbols:
___gxx_personality_v0
make: *** [shp2img] Error 1

Then, make install tells me that it

cp -f libmap.a /usr/local/lib/
cp -f map.h /usr/local/include/mapserver-3.5/

strange, that mapserver-3.5/ above. Needless to say, there is no map.h
under /usr/local/include but there is one under my mapserver-src
directory where I build everything. So, not knowing any better, I cp
map.h to /usr/local/include where all other .h files live. Then I try
to build perl/mapscript but, perl Makefile.pl quits with

perl Makefile.PL
Unable to open perlvars, have you built the MapServer yet? at
Makefile.PL line 4.

My guess is that the initial make itself failed when shp2img croaked. I
went through the Makefile and it seems logical that process didn't
complete at all. What is going on?

Many thanks,

Puneet.