[mapserver-users] Antialiased Lines in mapserver?

David Monterroso Cabello pyro-x at ixine.com
Fri Oct 11 06:46:49 EDT 2002

Zak James wrote:

> On Thursday, Oct 3, 2002, at 07:22 America/Montreal, David Monterroso
> Cabello wrote:
>
>> Hi there!
>>
>>    I'm developing a *streetmap* application using mapserver, and
>> although i like the output i get, it still looks bad cause those
>> jagged lines. Is there any way to have antialiased lines in
>> mapserver?, i saw in some old posts that it was a GD matter, and that
>> even in 2.0 versions it still doesn't support antialias. Does
>> somebody know if there is another way to do antialiasing?. I tried to
>> render  a double sized image and then reduced it with ImageMagick but
>> the results were awful.
>>    And finally,  a question for developers, would it be possible to
>> switch to ImageMagick for vector rendering?, that library render fine
>> antialiased lines  =), althought i dunno if it support everything
>> mapserver needs.
>

> This might not be what you had in mind, but preliminary PDF support
> has recently been added to version 3.7. Since it writes vector data as
> vectors, anti-aliasing is left up to the viewer. Adobe Acrobat Reader
> has an option to do it, for instance. If you use something like
> ghostscript or Illustrator, you could save to a raster format with
> antialiasing.

    Yes, i know about it. I haven't tried it yet, but the mapserver
output will be displayed in a html interface so i can only use the
classic raster formats (gif,png & jpg). But i will look at it, cause it
would be great for saving a map on the hard disk and then read it offline.

> If you don't want to use a dev version, you can do the same thing with
> the mapserver 3.6 PDF support (try the shp2pdf utility).

Greets
David Monterroso Cabello