[mapserver-users] Antialiased Lines in mapserver?

Zak James zak-ms at aiya.dhs.org
Tue Oct 8 16:31:55 EDT 2002

On Thursday, Oct 3, 2002, at 07:22 America/Montreal, David Monterroso
Cabello wrote:

> Hi there!
>
>    I'm developing a *streetmap* application using mapserver, and
> although i like the output i get, it still looks bad cause those
> jagged lines. Is there any way to have antialiased lines in
> mapserver?, i saw in some old posts that it was a GD matter, and that
> even in 2.0 versions it still doesn't support antialias. Does somebody
> know if there is another way to do antialiasing?. I tried to render  a
> double sized image and then reduced it with ImageMagick but the
> results were awful.
>    And finally,  a question for developers, would it be possible to
> switch to ImageMagick for vector rendering?, that library render fine
> antialiased lines  =), althought i dunno if it support everything
> mapserver needs.

This might not be what you had in mind, but preliminary PDF support has
recently been added to version 3.7. Since it writes vector data as
vectors, anti-aliasing is left up to the viewer. Adobe Acrobat Reader
has an option to do it, for instance. If you use something like
ghostscript or Illustrator, you could save to a raster format with
antialiasing.

If you don't want to use a dev version, you can do the same thing with
the mapserver 3.6 PDF support (try the shp2pdf utility).

zj