[mapserver-users] Dynamic web maps using MS Access

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Fri Oct 11 11:19:43 EDT 2002

You may be able to have perl, php or some sort of MapServer mapscript to
take advantage of these tools:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/mdbtools/?topic_id=66%2C67
which allow you to read MDB files and data from unix.  I haven't tried them
out too much, but I could see how you might be able to interface it with a
map.

Tyler

                      "Shaun Kolomeitz"
                      <S.Kolomeitz at toowoomba.qld.g        To:       mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
                      ov.au>                              cc:
                      Sent by:                            Fax to:
                      owner-mapserver-users at lists.        Subject:  [mapserver-users] Dynamic web maps using MS Access
                      gis.umn.edu

                      10/10/2002 03:34 PM

Dear mapserver-users,

I have a mate who is interested in using mapserver to display a dynamic
(regularly updated) Access database.

We are only talking up to about 10 000 records so I thought he could do
something like -
1. Get Access to regularly write the tabular info out to a text file
(either as records are updated or at regular intervals)
2. Get a cron job to translate the text file to a shapefile and index it
3. My guess is that mapserver would then read the new data provided it
wasn't already involved in reading the file/indexes.
My concern is that using this approach there is a potential for file
contention/locking to stuff things up.

Is there a simpler approach that someone else can think of for using
dynamic data from Access to display using mapserver ?
(and yes I already asked whether he could drop Access and do it all in
mapserver - no go unfortunately).

I've searched the archives but there are no examples / suggestions for
dynamic mapping from MS Access (personally I'd rather use MySQL or
POSTGIS).

TIA,
Shaun Kolomeitz

eBusiness Manager, Toowoomba City Council
Phone: 07 4688 6863
Mail to:S.Kolomeitz at toowoomba.qld.gov.au
This email message (and any accompanying file attachments) may contain
confidential or privileged information and is intended for the sole use of
the addressee(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, or
the person responsible for delivering this message to the intended
recipient, please notify Toowoomba City Council immediately and destroy any
copies of the original message.  Any unauthorised review, use, alteration,
disclosure or distribution of this email (including any attachments) by an
unintended recipient is prohibited.  While all care is taken, Council
cannot guarantee that this email message (and any accompanying file
attachments) are free of viruses.  The Council accepts no responsibility
for the content of any email which is sent by an employee which is of a
personal nature or which represents the personal view of the sender.