[mapserver-users] Zoom to extents - NOT

Murray, Ross rmurray at NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Oct 21 10:05:19 EDT 2002

I am very new to MapServer and would appreciate any words of encouragement
you may provide before I am prematurely old.

I have a button on my HTML form called "zoomtoextents". There are seperate
buttons allowing the user to zoom in or zoom out to explore the image. The
theory was that at some point they may wish to see the entire map again, so
they should be able to do so by a single click of a button. The code I wrote
was:

function zoomall() {
  	document.forms[0].imgext.value = "[allext]" ;
	document.forms[0].submit();
  }

where "[allext]" is a constant that holds the bounding latitude/longitude
values of the map area (the value comes from a database and is set before
the mapserv.exe is called).

Problem:
   No matter how much (or little) the image is zoomed, clicking
"zoomtoextents" returns an image at exactly half the maximum scale. For
example, when one of my sample maps loads for the first time, its extents
([allext]) are the bounding lat/long as described above and the scale is 1
to 500000. If I zoom in by any amount then click "zoomtoextents" I get a map
at 1 to 250000.

Go Figure?

 <<Murray, Ross.vcf>>