[mapserver-users] CGI Error

Martin, Daniel DMartin at erac.com
Tue Oct 29 16:30:04 EST 2002

I'm not familiar with Resin, but I have also had this same, seemingly random
problem with headers.  Only, I was on IIS.  The browser ends up showing the
entire text of the web page (similar to an HTML encode) instead of a
rendered web page.  This is indeed due to malformed headers.  But I never
was able to narrow down the cause.  Luckily for me, it went away after an
upgrade.

However, it is extremely important to note the difference between invalid
data being sent from the CGI executable to the web server (as is Armando's
problem) from invalid headers being sent from the server to the client
browser (which is the problem you are having).  In Armando's case, nothing
is being returned to IIS by the CGI application called.  IIS always returns
this "header" error message when it gets nothing back.  IIS simply fails to
mention the whole story which is it got nothing back, including headers.
Usually this error should say "Hey, your CGI application blew up."

Unfortunately, the error you mention is still a mystery to me.

-Dan