[mapserver-users] Installing php on RH 7.3

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Oct 29 20:19:32 EST 2002

Hi all,

I need some help on this guys. I am trying to install Mapserver on RH
7.3 and while I can get the mapserver build and install, I can not
get PHP to work as a CGI so I can run mapscript.

I have built it as a CGI and installed it in the cgi-bin directory
and configured httpd.conf to run .php and .phtml files via /cgi-
bin/php, but when I try to run any php file I get the following
error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /var/www/cgi-bin/php
on line 4397

So it looks like php is trying to load /var/www/cgi-bin/php as the
text file to parse and execute.

On RH 7.3, I have uninstalled the PHP rpms, I have manually built
apache and installed it over the rpm version, I have commented out
all php related lines in the apache config so I only have:

AddType php-script .php .phtml
AddHandler php-script /cgi-bin/php

and restarted apache and I continue to get the same error above!

I could really use some help on this.

Thanks,
  -Steve W.