[mapserver-users] PHP mapscript compiling

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Oct 31 09:57:23 EST 2002

Vincenzo Patruno wrote:

> I've tried to compile again mapserver/mapscript using your configure script (mapserver-configure-37-dev-20021029) but the result is
> the same.
>
> This is the new header of Makefile under mapscript/php3
>
> CC =     gcc
> LD =     /bin/true
> CFLAGS = -O2  -Wall -DCOMPILE_DL=1 -DPHP4
> RUNPATHS=
>
> ... Could you suggest me what should be the right configuration?

Unfortunately I don't have access to an AIX system to test this... so
I'm just guessing.

One of the following may work on other systems, but they should have
been tried already by the configure script so there must be something
missing in them:

 LD= gcc -shared
 LD= ld -shared
 LD= ld -G

Looking at the PHP configure (php-4.2.3/aclocal.m4), it seems that the
AIX command to build shared libraries is a bit different from other
systems, something in the following style:
'$LD -o $output_objdir/$soname $libobjs $deplibs $linker_flags
-bE:$export_symbols -T512 -H512
-bM:SRE~$AR $AR_FLAGS $lib $output_objdir/$soname'

... so you'll either have to experiment with the linker, or perhaps try
to get a recent copy of the GNU ld (newer than 2.9.1 since there were
apparently problems before) installed on your system and make sure it is
found by configure in your path before the system ld.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca