[mapserver-users] distance search in PLSS

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Mon Sep 2 17:31:30 EDT 2002

Rich,

Thanks for the insight... just as valuable as what Chip (Hankley)
provided to me earlier, and what I learned in my "Intro to GIS" class 15
years ago. What you guys say re PLSS is very true, and impt. to
understand for anyone dealing with it.

My assumption that it is a "regular and continuous coverage" is _only_
for the sake of using the perl script... nothing more. I can't predict
irregularities, and have no confusion with convergence, etc.

My problem was thus... given a piece of land that I happen to know has
continuous coverage, I needed to identify all the qs within a given
distance of a given qs. That is all. I need that to then further query a
sql database to retrieve records that have been encoded with dtrsq. At
this point I was not able to use a spatial approach to solving this,
hence had to write the script. It was fun doing it (it is always fun
writing arrays of hashes <g>).

You are not ranting at all... thanks for a valuable reminder about a
useful system. Besides, anything that is described as being
"boustrophedonic" can't be all that bad <g>.

pk/