[mapserver-users] question regarding postgis

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Thu Sep 5 10:24:14 EDT 2002

Jan Hartmann writes:

> Norman Vine wrote:
>
> >Jan Hartmann writes:
> >
> >>. However,
> >>PostGIS  cannot be running on the same server as the (Windows)
> >>MapServer, as PostgreSQL cannot be compiled for native Windows (yet).
> >>

> >FYI
> >PostgreSQL is distributed as part of Cygwin and I have placed a
> >compiled Cygwin PostGIS extension module at
> >http://www.vso.cape.com/~nhv/files/cygwin/postgis.tgz
> >
> >There is also a beta Native Win32 PostgreSQL distribution
>>

> Thanks Norman. Two questions:
>
> - Do you have any experience in running MapServer CGI (native Windows)
> alongside PostGIS (cygwin), or should both be compiled under Cygwin?

This should work fine although I haven't tried it

I am currently running a Cygwin compiled MapServer <CGI >
and Python MapScript against the Native Win32 PostgreSQL

> - Do you have pointers to the Native Win32 distribution? I thougt it was
> still experimental.

The Native version is 'beta' but seems to work.
My concern now is 'learning' how to compile the extension modules

FWIW
I find http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/ quite useful

Cheers

Norman