[mapserver-users] Mapserver on Mandrake-Server

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Mon Sep 9 13:27:12 EDT 2002

well, the imagepath is exactly that. It is the path to the directory where
you want mapserver to write out the temporary images. Typically you want
these images to be dumped in a tmp directory so you can clean the directory
from time to time. Additionally, you need to set this tmp directory with
permissions to mapserver can write to it. Mapserver (actually your
webserver) runs under a specific account (www or apache or nobody). The tmp
directory should be writeable by this account.

/var/www/html is your document root directory which has nothing to do with
mapserver. That is the docs root for Apache... ostensibly you have many
other websites in this docs root besides mapserver.

Do the following...

1. find out what Apache is running as (look it up in httpd.conf)
2. create a tmp directory under your mapserver application root. for
example,
	/var/www/html/tilladamsniftymapapplcation/tmp

assuming that all your mapserver website htmls are sitting under
tilladamsniftymapapplcation

3. chown/chgrp/chmod tmp so it can be written to by the account you
discovered in #1 above.
4. change the values accordingly in your map file.
5. write a little crontab entry that cleans out the png files created under
tmp every n mins or so