[mapserver-users] XUL Interface for mapserver app?

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu Sep 12 06:45:57 EDT 2002

I agree with Jean-Francois: XUL is impressive and could be the future
for developing user interfaces for the web. I don't think it will be
immediately useful for creating MapServer applications accessible to
everyone, but if you have time to spare for research and development,
you should certainly have a look.

Another point of Jean-Francois is of even more general interest I think:
developing according to open standards (www.w3c.org). For myself I use
Netscape 7/Mozilla as a reference browser to develop applications, and
adapt those where necessary to Internet Explorer 5.5. (I like to use
Netscape for its own sake too). IE is for the most part W3C compatible,
but Microsoft has added tons of features which can be convenient but
don't add functionality. The main real difference is in the Event model,
but this is not particularly difficult to overcome by cross browser
scripting. So if you develop from IE you will invariable end up with
something that cannot be read by other browsers. On the other hand,
developing according to W3C standards not only opens up the full
potential of modern browsers (including IE if you put some effort into
it), but also gives access to browsers like Netscape, Konqueror and
Opera. I find this particularly interesting for the growing group of
Linux end users. Of course older browsers, like Netscape 4 or IE 4 are
out, so if you need to address those also, W3C standards are not for you.

A very clear introduction to W3C compliant programming (including IE5)
is http://www.brainjar.com. It gives very good, simple examples of
resizable windows and menus within a Web browser. It sure would be a
cool thing to put MapServer maps into such an interface, and give some
flavor of things to come with XUL.

Of course, this is just my personal point of view. It would be nice to
hear other people's ideas about possible future directions for MapServer
client side programming (JavaScript, Java, Flash, ... ?)

Jan Hartmann
Department of Geography
University of Amsterdam
jhart at frw.uva.nl