BENCHMARKING (was: [mapserver-users] professional MapServer services list? / ArcIMS-MapServer choice)

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Sep 17 20:09:11 EDT 2002

I have already used a tool call Siege see

    http://www.joedog.org/siege/index.shtml

that works great at simulating multiple users, etc. The key is to
come up with a set of urls the you can execute in sequence or
randomly that simulate user activity. The way I did this was to
generate random hits at different location over the spatial area of
the map and at random zoom scales. This seemed to work well and to
avoid problems like getting all your hits out of the files system
cache which is about 10-20 times faster than out of cache hits.

Siege measures the user response times of the server. I ran tests
both from the server (Siege itself does not generate much load on the
system) and from a remote host to compare results to look at the
potential impact on network latency.

For diagnostic evaluation of how time was being spend on the server I
wrote a simple shell script like:

time --append -o /path/to/logfile  /path/to/php $*

and then analyzed the logfile to look at the process stats.

This information is only good for a given configuration but can be
used to tune it and to predict what the maximum potential through put
is going to be. If you could standardize a dataset and mapfile
configuration, it would be possible to compare mapserver version to
version if you keep the hardware config the same, or evaluate
hardware configs, if you keep mapserver version constant. There are
probably a few other things that need to be monitored also, but you
probably already know that.

Just my $0.02,
  -Steve W.