[mapserver-users] professional MapServer services list? / ArcIMS-MapServer choice

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Wed Sep 18 03:20:05 EDT 2002

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 07:11:00PM -0400, Dave McIlhagga wrote:
> I believe there are a few other groups using MapServer on this list who
> have also indicated that they have been using it for high volumes.

correct :-)

> I'm not sure if anyone has done a thorough comparison of ArcIMS with
> Oracle vs. MapServer with either tuned flat files, connection to Oracle
> Spatial, SDE or PostGIS, but I suspect that MapServer would come out on
> top hands down.
>
> Now that this has been brought up - has anyone done any kind of
> benchmarking like this?  I'd love to have that at my disposal in the
> ongoing argument to potential clients for using MapServer.

I discussed this issue at the AGIT 2002 in Austria. There are some
tools that might help to get a first impression,
e.g. Siege (http://www.joedog.org/siege/index.shtml) which we applied
for another web application.

Direct comparison is difficult as you might remember from the benchmarking
of fileservers Microsoft vs GNU/Linux.
But if you have a running MapServer application you may run Siege against
it to see how it performs. This should give you enough good arguments.

Best

	Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/