BENCHMARKING (was: [mapserver-users] professional MapServer services list? / ArcIMS-MapServer choice)

Zak James zak-ms at aiya.dhs.org
Wed Sep 18 09:37:48 EDT 2002

There is also a free package for windows called phpedit
(www.phpedit.com) which puts a friendly GUI on the php debugger. It
makes remote debugging setup easier, too. It's a little rough as an
editor, but the debugging support is solid.

Zak James

On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 09:14 , Paul Spencer wrote:

> [...]
>> |         |           Sent by:                    |
>> |         |           owner-mapserver-users at lists.|
>> |         |           gis.umn.edu                 |
>> |         |                                       |
>> |         |                                       |
>> |         |           09/16/2002 04:11 PM         |
>> |         |                                       |
>> |---------+--------------------------------------->
>>
>> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

>>   |       To:
>> john1zastrow at yahoo.com
>>   |       cc:       Mark Phillips <mbp at geomtech.com>, mapserver-
>> users at lists.gis.umn.edu
>>   |       Fax
>> to:
>>   |       Subject:  Re: [mapserver-users] professional MapServer
>> services list? /  ArcIMS-MapServer
>> choice                                           |
>>
>> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>> John,
>> In fact, there are numerous examples that if anything may indicate the
>> contrary.  Ourselves, we have been involved with a project that can
>> comfortably generate over 100,000 map draws a day.  There was also an
>> example a couple of years ago covering the Canadian Federal election
>> where a MapServer based application was the only one able to handle the
>> enormous traffic that resulted.
>> I believe there are a few other groups using MapServer on this list who
>> have also indicated that they have been using it for high volumes.
>> I'm not sure if anyone has done a thorough comparison of ArcIMS with
>> Oracle vs. MapServer with either tuned flat files, connection to Oracle
>> Spatial, SDE or PostGIS, but I suspect that MapServer would come out on
>> top hands down.
>> Now that this has been brought up - has anyone done any kind of
>> benchmarking like this?  I'd love to have that at my disposal in the
>> ongoing argument to potential clients for using MapServer.
>> Dave
>> John Zastrow wrote:
>>> Mark and List,
>>>
>>> I'm a similar boat, except that it's my own group that I'd be
>>> 'selling'
>>> Mapserver to. It's my impression that for small to moderate sized
>> projects,
>>> mapserver does just fine. But moderate to semi-large projects (size
>>> being
>> user
>>> load and data load) one needs to use a commercial map server (ArcIMS
>>> on
>>> Oracle).
>>>
>>> Has anyone done a feature matrix of the various mapsevers out there? I
>> just
>>> started lurking on this list. Standard apologies if this has been
>>> already. I'd be interested to see Mark's compilation and information