[mapserver-users] Variations in label behavior

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Sep 19 15:24:50 EDT 2002

The problems with FT2 are really hit-and-miss. I'm still not sure where
the problem really lies. It could simply be braindead fonts. The issue
is further clouded because MapServer 3.7 features 24-bit image handling
and that can only be done with GD2, and GD2 only supports FT2. It may be
that FT2/GD2 is very stable but I've not done enough testing to know.

There was a document coordinator at the UMN, but that person has
recently quit. Until they re-fill that position (they are looking) it's
best to add this to the WIKI or forward to the install documentation
authors themselves.

I can edit the website but have no time to do that given my other
MapServer duties.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> <gisweb at lmi.net> 09/19/02 12:59PM >>>
Steve,

The install documentation on Mapserver 3.6 implies that Freetype 2.x is
okay:

> If your GD is built against FreeType, you will see either
> "-DUSE_GD_TTF" (Or "-DUSE_GD_FT" for Freetype 2.x) part.

Is it appropriate to inform the Mapserver website's authors that there
are still
issues with Freetype 2.x, and that Freetype 1.x is still the only safe
choice? A
rewrite of the install section might prevent people from encountering
the
problem I've found with text angles.

If it's appropriate, do you know who's best to email with the
information about
Freetype 2.x vs. Freetype 1.x to get the website updated?

Thanks,
Jonathan W. Lowe