[mapserver-users] .map

Chris Stuber imap at chesapeake.net
Fri Sep 20 03:38:05 EDT 2002

John,

I saw the other responses to this question suggesting
a tileindex solution, etc.  but if you are dynamically assigning
user specific layers (ie. layers displayed based on "user" versus a
spatial context, say from a user profile, etc...)  you can
create a template mapfile, and just dynamically add layers from
mapscript on-the-fly.  That works just fine from a perl CGI or
php.

In the mapfile, you can setup various layer templates for common
layers parameters (such as COLOR/OUTLINECOLOR/MINSCALE/MAXSCALE)
and then in your mapscript, you can add the layer
$map->getLayerByName(), set the $layer->{status}, assign
the $layer->{data} member, and render the layer with
$layer->draw().

I just thought I would give a different slant for a response...
If you new to mapserver, look into mapscript to get the most
granular control of rendering maps, etc.  it rocks!

Some applications are simple enough to use the CGI version of
mapserver, but the more complex apps will require you to use
mapscript...

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc.