[mapserver-users] .map

John Bennett john.bennett at noetix.on.ca
Fri Sep 20 11:00:56 EDT 2002

Hi Tyler
Thanks for the replies. This is a great user group.
To be more specific, I have 50 different defined areas. Daily new gif files
will come in showing the crop/soil conditions in each area. Each area may
have 10 different products (gifs) that define the crop/soil condition. The
site has to allow the user to select any area, product type and date (from
1970 to now) and the crop/soil conditions should be displayed to them.
Therefore the spatial archive which is being constantly added to may have
5,000,000 gif's(I'm exaggerating). (350 days x 10 products x 50 sites x 30
years).
I'm thinking a possible way to do this is to have the 50 different areas in
one shapefile. The user selects which shapefile and selects a date. The
server gets that date/type and changes the name of the gif in the .map file
according to the date/type selected by that user. What do you think? Any
other suggestions?
John