[mapserver-users] Mapserver 3.7 and GD2 support

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Sep 21 09:37:45 EDT 2002

On 21 Sep 2002 at 14:27, Stepan Kafka wrote:

> I think, it is caused by 256 color limit in MS 3.6x version. Your
> colortable is full so MS chages the colors. Tehe solution is using new
> RGB supporting version (3.7).

So this raises a question for me. Adding GD 2 gives mapserver the
ability to deal with more colors internally, but web browsers still
are limited on the number of colors they can use!

So what happens?

I am assuming the mapserver can build a high color memory image of
the map in question, but then it still has to reduce it to around 256
colors on output. Do we get better output images because it can defer
the color reduction until it knows all the colors it needs to deal
with? or does it output higher color images and the browsers can
actually handle more colors than I think? or something else?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

-Stephen woodbridge
 http://iMapTools.com