[mapserver-users] MapServer Limitations

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Sep 25 08:19:48 EDT 2002

Pradeep,

I know this was probably addressed to Steve Lime, but I will toss my
2 cents in also.

In general, is it hard to say what the limitations of anything are
without knowing what you expect to do with it. For example it would
be safe to say it probably can not do the dishes, etc :) but when you
get closer to the domain of expertise it is not possible to say it
does this well or not, because "well" is very subjective and without
some specific details of the task involved it is not possible to
accurately define its fitness for purpose.

Another problem is the skill of the user in knowing how to make it do
what you want. As someone recently said on the list, It is easy to
setup mapserver in such a way the its performance really sucks. This
does not mean the mapserver sucks, just that specific configuration.

On the flip side, it is easier to make a check list of all the things
that mapserver CAN do. We also have many testimonial from people that
have tried other solutions like ESRI and have found that mapserver
was a much better solution - just check the list archives or post a
request to the list.

That said, I think it would be safe to say that Mapserver's specific
domain of expertise is in serving maps and ...

It is NOT a GIS system.
It is NOT a general purpose geocoding system.
It is NOT a network analysis and routing system.
It is NOT designed to edit spatial data files, not that you can do
this in a limited sort of way.
It is NOT a desktop GUI application.

I hope this helps.
  -Steve Woodbridge