[mapserver-users] GDAL TIFF fun - two supposedly identical builds....

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Wed Sep 25 21:55:49 EDT 2002

OK,

I have two (supposedly) identical boxes running PHP Mapscript (3.6.0 and 3.6.1)
with GDAL (1.1.7) support. The same source data and PHP application has been
mirrored from box A to B. The same TIFFs work on box A, but not box B.

Box A:

MapScript Version ($Revision: 1.104 $ $Date: 2002/04/24 20:37:32 $)
MapServer version 3.6.0 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Box B:

MapScript Version ($Revision: 1.104.2.1 $ $Date: 2002/06/03 14:19:53 $)
MapServer version 3.6.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Viz, from this and looking at the config.status in each compile ("--without-tiff"),
they do not support TIFF natively but through GDAL. TIFFs will display on box A,
but not B, where it seems to bail as soon as it tries to $map->draw(). gdal_translate
will happily convert the offending TIFF to other GDAL formats that do work, so I am
guessing that the GDAL libaries must be OK. looking at the libraries actually linked
into php_mapscript.so and libgdal.1.1.so, I can't spot any obvious differences either.
(both GDALs have TIFF and GEOTIFF set to "internal").

The only smoking gun I can see is that on box B, Mapserver config.status is looking
for gdal.h in the wrong location (but then why would other GDAL formats work OK?)

Thoughts?

Antti