[mapserver-users] POSTGIS parse error

Alexander Pucher pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Mon Sep 30 05:42:21 EDT 2002

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Haechler wrote:

>Hi Alex
>
>I recently had exactly the same problem. Did you perhaps restart your
>database server and forgot to allow TCP/IP connections, i.e. forgot to
>use the -i option when starting postmaster?

Well, I restart it on  a regular basis, since it runs on my personal
laptop ;-) To answer your question, no, I didn't forget to include the
-i  option, everything runs as normal.

>You can find the posting here:
>http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0208/msg00091.html
>
>Read also Tyler's note on this:
>http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0208/msg00093.html
>
>Btw, I have made very good experiences with the new version of
>mappostgis.c from the 3.7 version, where you get much more detailed
>error messages. See:
>http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0209/msg00300.html
>
>Hope this helps you,

Thanks for that.

It managed to get it running again by adding the password=xxxx to the
CONNECTION line in my mapfile. But to be honets, I'm not happy with this
solution.

Why do I have to include my PostgreSQL password now and not in the past?

Apart from that, I don't like to hardcode any passwords in human
readable files.

regards,
alex