[mapserver-users] POSTGIS parse error

david blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Mon Sep 30 12:35:46 EDT 2002

> I have to add that everything used to work on my machine without
> problems until yesterday....

> It managed to get it running again by adding the password=xxxx to the
> CONNECTION line in my mapfile. But to be honets, I'm not happy with this
> solution.
>
> Why do I have to include my PostgreSQL password now and not in the past?
>
> Apart from that, I don't like to hardcode any passwords in human
> readable files.

The connect-to-database routines havent changed since the very original
mappostgis.c was created.
In fact, the connect-to-database rountine is only one line long and just
calls
the standard libpq PQconnect() function.

I cannot see any reason why it would suddenly stop working on the
mapserver
side.  There must have been a change in your database
set-up.

If you dont want to put in a password, you'll have to use the postgresql
sql
command "CREATE USER..." and "GRANT..." to create a new user (without a
password) with the appropriate permission.

dave
ps. you should use the mappostgis.c from 3.7 since it gives much better
help
and error reporting.  I've posted it here several times or you can get
it from
cvs.  I'll email it to you in a separate message.