[Mapserver-users] Proj problems

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Fri Aug 1 04:25:43 EDT 2003

Gerry,

I don't presume I will solve your problem, but let me add me 2 cents:

- I saw a line 'proj=longlat'. This is definitely not going to work, as it
should be 'proj=latlong'.
- I think you can't use a full proj definition and a epsg:xxxx line together
in the same projection block (in the PWV layer). An epsg line is a shortcut
to a full projection definition. Either use that, or define the projection
yourself in the projection block, but don't do both, cause you'll end up
having 2 projections defined...
- mind that layers that do not have a projection defined in the map file and
do not have an internal projection definition (e.g geotiff files do, but
shapefiles don't have an internal projection def) are assumed to be in the
defined output projection of the mapfile. If they are not in the same
projection, there is a pretty big chance that they will fall outside of your
defined map extent.
- your mapfile is quite complex, having some different layers with different
projections. I'd say, try to start with a stripped down mapfile with only one
layer which is in the same projection as the output projection, get that
working, then start adding new layers one by one. This greatly increases your
chances of tackling the problem. Now it can be anywhere in your file.
- it might be on purpose but the mapfile you attached doesn't have any main
map projection defined: they are all commented out. Don't forget to uncomment
one, as you will need at least one... And adjust the units according to the
uncommented projection, e.g. if you uncomment a utm proj, change units to
meters. And of course change your main extent accordingly.
- remove the minscale and maxscale items from the web block while debugging to
prevent them to fool you.
- STATUS should be on|off|default, not false, according to the documents. I
wonder why you don't get a parse error about that. Or it might work but be
undocumented ;-) BTW while debugging I always prefer status default, because
that makes sure your layers will be displayed, while with status on you will
have to activate them explicitly in your cgi request. For more info on this
search the mailing list archives.
- for raster files that are not in some remote sensing format and thus do not
contain any coordinate information (like the radar layer: it's a gif file)
you probably need to use a world file to define the corner coordinates and
raster cell size.

Hope these help...
Good luck,

Vincent.