[Mapserver-users] WMS Client on IIS with MS_MAPFILE variable problem

Arnulf Christl CCGIS arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Fri Aug 1 06:30:09 EDT 2003

Hi,
doing the same thing as Sean Gillies suggested we do it another way
technically. One of our customers did have some problems using UMN MapServer
as a cascading server bescause it will "hang" until the CGI timout is
reached whenever any one of the cascaded servers will not answer or will
only answer retarded (a basic problem of the used CGI technique). Therefore
we use a D-HTML client suite which queries all WMS individually (without
showing the map file or the servers IP because they are wrapped in a
*virtual* project) and shows their map whenever the server has finished
drawing it. The problem of a missing *layer* (WMS) is then reduced to the
inconvenience of it not appearing in the map instead of a *hanging* system.
We are currently preparing to *free* this software licensed with the GNU GPL
(up to know we sold it as a proprietary product). We hope to be able to
publish it next week. We will notify this userlist when it finally will be
ready for download.

Daniels suggestion of *cloning* MapServers may also be a very interesting
alternative we have not tought about yet.

Best regards,
Arnulf.