[Mapserver-users] Proj problems

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Fri Aug 1 08:14:06 EDT 2003

Gerry,
please if you reply, include the list. Others might want to follow our
discussion, maybe learn from it, correct me, or even add better ideas...

There are a bunch of documents on the internet that say proj=longlat (google
for it, you'll be stumped!). I believe they are wrong... However, if it is in
the mapserver docs/wiki somewhere, we should track that down and have it
corrected.
I see about the meteorologists being not gis people...
I might have overlooked a main projection block.
According to the gdal docs, the world file for your gif should be named .wld
(if your gif is radar.gif, your world file should be radar.wld). Then
mapserver (gdal) should automatically recognize it. .tfw means Tiff World
File, thus should be used for tiffs...
If it worked without reprojecting, adding a valid projection block into the
map block and accordingly changing the extent and eventually units should
suffice to get your output in a different projection. However, I would try to
start simple to get that working. The degree of confusion did not escape my
eye ;-) Once you got reprojection working with one layer, adding more layers
that previously worked should not be any problem.
I am not a projection expert and certainly not Lambert, but a typical thing to
forget/do wrong might be to have an extent that does not fit the used
projection...

Well I hope you'll succeed somehow.
Cheers,
Vincent.