[Mapserver-users] Creating Raster Tiles

Matthew Smith matt at kbc.net.au
Mon Aug 4 23:45:38 EDT 2003

> I have a single, large Raster image which I want to cut up into tiles
> for display within Mapserver.
>
> Is there any software which will split this image up into a number of
> smaller images??  I have ERDAS Imagine 8.4 but it only seems to create
> individual subsets... which will take for ever !!!

I can't give you a specific answer but if I had to tackle such a
problem, I would look at using GD.pm - the Perl interface to the GD
graphics manipulation software.

A script would need to:
* open source file
* determine size of file (pixels)
* run a series of loops to read pixels, then write the appropriate ones
to the tile files.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you wish to discuss this idea further.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia