[Mapserver-users] Problem w/ 8-bit TIF & Mapserver 3.3

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Wed Aug 6 12:08:01 EDT 2003

Hello Matthew,

MapServer 3.3?  Wow!  Three things I can think of:

1. Is you TIFF image a bitmap (indexed color) or RGB (true color)?  If
RGB, you'll need to convert it into indexed color.  If you have
Photoshop (or gimp) it's very easy --Click on Image-->Mode-->Indexed
Color
The TFW file should still be valid as you didn't change the resolution.

2. This is what will fix your problem...  change the extension of your
TFW file to WLD.

3. Put your DATA path in quotes: DATA "./aerial/nov01_utm/rm94g_wv.tif"
   This probably doesn't do a thing on *Nix but it matters on Windows.

Good luck!
-Perry

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 19:58, mp28 wrote:
> Hello,
>  I've been working on getting mapserver to render a set of high-resolution
> aerial photos. The images are in .tif format, unsigned 8-bit with an
> associated .tfw file. We are currently using Mapserver v3.3. For testing
> purposes we are trying to get just a single image to work but here is the
> problem.... Mapserver doesn't return an image (in map mode) when the layer is
> added. Here is the mapfile entry ->
>
> LAYER # Aerial test
> 	NAME "aerial"
>         DATA ./aerial/nov01_utm/rm94g_wv.tif
> 	STATUS OFF
> 	TYPE RASTER
> END
>
> The file size of the test photo is 15.4 MB which shouldn't be a problem since
> we're successfully using a 30 MB tif w/ mapserver. The paths are correct
> (other tifs in the same directory work). The image is 8-bit and displays
> perfectly in other GIS/RS software.
>
> Is there any thing I'm forgetting? Is there some minor variation in the .tif
> format that could be causing this? Has anyone run into this before??
>
> I'll have access to the mapserver error log tomorrow... is there anything I
> should look for?
>
> Thanks for the help, guys.
>
> Matthew Perry
> Humboldt State University
> Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences
> mp28 at humboldt.edu
> http://ktrin.cnrs.humboldt.edu

Pericles S. Nacionales <nacional at cbs.umn.edu>
University of Minnesota