[Mapserver-users] Install help

Siki Zoltan siki at bme-geod.agt.bme.hu
Mon Aug 11 11:32:41 EDT 2003

Hi Steve,

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 woodbri at swoodbridge.com wrote:

> Siki,
>
> You need to uninstall the rpm first with:
>
> rpm -e --nodeps gd
> rpm -e --nodeps gd-devel

--nodeps can be dangerous mainly if the newer version gd 2.0.x is
in /usr/local, a lot of packages may depend on gd, none of them will work
after removing gd and gd-devel.
I have both gd 1.8.x as an rpm and 2.0.15 build from source on
my system.

> Then build and install gd-2.0.15
>
> -Steve W.
>
> On 11 Aug 2003 at 9:08, Siki Zoltan wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > You may install a package on RedHat from an RPM or from sources.
> > The old GD was installed from an RPM, that is way you see it with rpm
> > -q You build the new version from sources, so  rpm -q can't see it.
> > Now you have two versions of GD on your  linux box, the old one in the
> > /usr and the new one in /usr/local. You must specify the location for
> > the configure script of mapserver --with-gd=DIR to force mapserver to
> > use the new one. You may remove the old GD with rpm -e package.
> >
> > Probably you won't find an rpm for the newest GD (I couldn't).
> > So rpm can handle packages installed from .rpm files.
> >
> > --
> > Zoltan
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Ethan Granger wrote:
> >
> > > My system: RedHat 9.0, Apache 2.0.40, PHP 4.2.2
> > >
> > > I am a linux newbie and I am trying to install mapserver.  I noticed
> > > that I needed an upgraded GD library than came with my RH9.  When I
> > > typed the command "rpm -q gd" I got "gd-1.8.4-11" which I isn't good
> > > enough according to the instructions.  So this is what I did:
> > >
> > > Downloaded gd-2.0.15 to /root
> > > typed "tar -zxvf gd-2.0.15.tar.gz"
> > > typed "cd gd-2.0.15"
> > > typed "./configure"
> > > typed "make"
> > > typed "make install"
> > > typed "cd /"
> > > typed "rpm -q gd" and "I got gd-1.8.4-11"
> > >
> > > What gives? How come gd was not upgraded?  How do I figure out where
> > > RH9 installed it and remove it? or overwrite it?
> > >
> > > thanks for your help.

Zoltan Siki

Tel:+36 1 463 1146  +36 70 3199092  Fax:+36 1 463 3209
Mail: siki at agt.bme.hu
Assistant professor at                     egyetemi adjunktus
Department of Geodesy and Surveying        Altalanos es Felsogeodezia tanszek
Budapest University of Technology Hungary  Budapesti Muszaki Gazd. Tud. Egyetem