[mapserver-users] OpenGIS CITE

Arnulf Christl CCGIS arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Aug 11 13:34:24 EDT 2003

Hello,
our group (CCGIS) is very interested concerning any standardisation issues
regarding WMS and WFS. Our main project (Mapbender) completely trusts in
UMN MapServers WMS capabilities (nice wording).

We are not into programming UMN MapServer directly but where it may be
helpful to throw in our know-how regarding OGC specs we will do so
willingly. We are definitely very interested in extending MSs WFS
functionality as this is exactly where developments for our customers are
currently put on hold. Many of the problems in questions can be solved by
using MapScript (which is a great thing), but in the end it again is
proprietary in its own sense.
The question we cannot answer is whether technically it makes sense to try
and implement all of WFS into MapServer, what we do (believe to) know is
that to use and support WFS does make very much sense. And we know that it
is a lot to do and quite a lot of the details are irrelevant to most users
but part of the spec. MapServer beeing *more permissive* than the spec
allows is OK with us - but that for this reason it fails some tests is a
problem that will have to be accounted for.

Another line of thought:
There are other Free Software projects far on the way with WFS already. We
cannot evaluate the need for UMN MapServer to be able to do WFS in all its
details (and all on its own), but maybe it makes sense to just use whats
already there.

We already use loads of other free software projects btw, we use free OS,
free DB, free scripting lingos, free webserver. Would it make sense to use
another free project for UMN MapServers WFS?

Regards,
Arnulf Christl

--------------------------------
    arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
         www.ccgis.de
--------------------------------
Zentrale:  ++49 (0) 228 90826
Durchwahl: ++49 (0) 228 90826 23
Fax:       ++49 (0) 228 90826 11
GSM:       ++49 (0) 172 2958 004
--------------------------------
CCGIS GbR
Siemensstraße 8
53121 Bonn
GERMANY

Our group (DM Solutions) has begun testing mapserver against the
compliance tests from the CITE initiative.  I don't have any information
on results yet, but I anticipate that results will become know at some
point.

If anyone else out there is doing this, or planning on setting up some
automated testing along these lines, please get in touch with us so we
can coordinate activities.

Dave
--
Dave McIlhagga