[mapserver-users] OpenGIS CITE

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Aug 12 11:02:56 EDT 2003

Daniel,

   I think you are right.  ArcExplorer will display data from servers
supporting WMS v1.1.1 or later.  I tested ArcExplorer with 17 WMS urls
(switch to courier font to line things up in the table below):

WMS     ArcExporer 4.0.1 Java

Version Connects:  Shows Data:

                    ------  ----------------------
 1. NASA Landsat        http://wmt.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wmt.cgi
1.0.0   YES             no
 2. GeoArctic Nunavut   http://www.geoarctic.com/cgi-bin/wmsgeomapcan
1.0.0   YES             "msWMSLoadMapParams(): Unsupported output format."
 3. B.C. prov WMS
http://slkapps2.env.gov.bc.ca/servlet/com.esri.wms.Esrimap
1.0.0   no
 4. Ontario MNR NFIS    http://lioib.lio.mnr.gov.on.ca/lioogc/default.asp
1.0.0   no
 5. Ontario MNR GeoLoc
http://lioib.lio.mnr.gov.on.ca/lioogc/OGC_ENV1_View.asp
1.0.0   no
 6. Agriculture Canada  http://linuxgurrl.agr.ca/cgi-bin/mapeco
1.1.0   no
 7. Atlas of Canada
http://cgdi-dev.geoconnections.org/cgi-bin/tomatlasmapper
1.1.0   no
 8. GeoScience K Net    http://cgkn.net/cgi-bin/mswms_cgkn
1.1.0   no
 9. DM Solutions        http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/mswms_gmap
1.1.0   no
10. PCI demo data       http://gws.pcigeomatics.com/GWSApp/GeoWSServlet
1.1.1   no
11. Canada's Ag
http://dev.geographynetwork.ca/ogcwms/servlet/com.esri.ogc.wms.WMSServlet
1.1.1  YES             YES
12. Canada's Basemap
http://k12.esricanada.com/ogcwms/servlet/com.esri.ogc.wms.WMSServlet
1.1.1   YES             YES
13. CCRS
http://ceoware2.ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca/cubewerx/cubeserv/cubeserv.cgi
1.1.2   YES             YES
14. CTIS 1              http://wms.cits.nrcan.gc.ca/cgi-bin/cubeserv.cgi
1.1.2   YES             YES
15. CubeWerx            http://www.cubewerx.com/demo/cubeserv/cubeserv.cgi
1.1.3   YES             YES
16. Iowa                http://komodo.gis.iastate.edu/server.cgi
graphic YES             no
17. Boston coast ortho  http://coast.mit.edu/wmtserver.cgi
graphic no

Basically not all servers do a good job of implementing the WMS spec, and as
you point out, the client apps (at least the two I tested) are not much
better.  I expect CITE will help the general situation, but it will take
some time.

As for the WMS_Version  keyword, I agree that it is not good practice, but
given the current chaotic state of servers and clients it may be useful.
The alternative is a wrapper script on the server.   Here's an ASP script to
"promote" Mapserver's version number (and take care of specifying the map
file, another problem):
<%
strRequest = Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING")

strURL =
"http://my.server.com/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MySite\myma
pfile.map&" & strRequest

Dim objHTTP 'As MSXML2.XMLHTTP
Set objHTTP = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
objHTTP.open "GET", strURL, false
objHTTP.send ""

pos = instr(ucase(strRequest),"REQUEST=GETCAPABILITIES")
if pos = 0 then pos = instr(ucase(strRequest),"REQUEST=CAPABILITIES")
if pos > 0 then
    str111 = replace(objHTTP.responseText,"WMT_MS_Capabilities
version=""1.1.0""","WMT_MS_Capabilities version=""1.1.1""")
    Response.Write str111 'objHTTP.responseText
else
    Response.BinaryWrite objHTTP.responseBody
end if

Set objHTTP = Nothing
%>
Be advised, the script is not well tested, and is bad practice at least
until Mapserver truely supports v1.1.1.  On the other hand it does work well
with ArcExplorer.

Brent