[mapserver-users] OpenGIS CITE

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Aug 11 15:46:24 EDT 2003

Daniel M. (and others),

   First of all, thanks for implementing WMS in MapServer and continuing to
upgrade it.  I think giving the user a choice of client applications is a
great feature!

   I also believe conformance to the WMS spec (as much as possible) is
vital, especially since I've been struggling for the past few days to get a
couple of WMS client applications to speak to Mapserver: Iowa State U's
WMTOrthophoto extension to ArcView 3.x
(http://www.gis.iastate.edu/Links.html) (only supports WMS v1.0.0), and
ESRI's ArcExplorer 4.0.1 Java Edition (doesn't support WMS v1.1.0, although
v1.0.0 and v1.1.1 are ok).

    I followed the mapserver wiki on using ArcExplorer
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WMSMapserverArcExplorer) and
was eventually successful after using an ASP wrapper to spoof the WMS
version of Mapserver to be 1.1.1.  The problem with this method is that it
requires keeping the map file and script in sync.

  How about an optional "WMS_Version " keyword for the metadata section of
the WEB object in the map file?  If present, Mapserver would spit out a
<WMT_MS_Capabilities version='1.1.1'> tag (or whatever version was given in
the map file).  We could use it to get around client/server WMS version
incompatibilies.  I realize you're working to implement v1.1.1 in Mapserver
, but there could be other client applications coming out that support only
v1.1.2, etc.

Thanks again!

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.