[mapserver-users] OpenGIS CITE

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Aug 8 13:58:25 EDT 2003

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:

> has anyone from the mapserver community participated in the OpenGIS CITE
> initiative, to see how conformant mapserver is to the OpenGIS
> specifications? I know their test suite is only in beta, but perhaps
> somebody from mapserver has done the beta test.

We are currently testing MapServer 4.0 against the CITE test suite for
WMS, and it currently passes 56 out of 88 tests.

Many of the tests that fail are due to the fact that it supports only
WMS 1.1.0 and many tests require WMS 1.1.1.

Also, as JF mentioned in his reply, in a few cases MapServer is more
permissive than the spec allows and for this reason fails some tests.
For instance, when passing invalid layer names MapServer silently
ignores the invalid layer (or sends the whole map if LAYERS is omitted),
but the spec requires that we send an exception in those cases.

All the issues are being filed in bugzilla, if you do a query for
"CITE", you'll currently see 12 bugs.  We will look into each issue and
decide what we do about each one during the 4.1 development cycle.  Our
goal would be to pass all WMS tests and get MapServer officially certified.

With respect to WFS, we are going to run the tests but don't expect to
do very well since the MapServer WFS is very incomplete.  Also, based on
the feedback I've seen on the CITE list, the WFS tests seem to push
things quite a bit with respect to GML support, etc. and for this reason
MapServer may never pass the whole WFS suite.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca