[Mapserver-users] Re: Geocoding

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Aug 19 18:06:21 EDT 2003

There are lots of ways to do geocoding depending how involved you
want to get. One simple way is to load your street data into MySQL or
PostGIS then you can write simple php code to do queries on the
database. Once you have found a street segment that looks like a
match you can interpolate along the street based on the street number
you want and the range of numbers found on that street segment.

I have done most of my geocoding using C or Perl & MySQL so I don't
think I will be much help with php examples. Anyway the code I have
is way more complex than you would want as a novice, I would get some
shape files of streets data and load them into a DB and write some
code to do some queries. You will be surprised how good that works
and how much you will learn doing it.

-Steve