[Mapserver-users] Help !!! Mapscript installation nightmare !!

D. Scott Davidson davidson at usgs.gov
Fri Aug 22 12:00:42 EDT 2003

For the installation of GDAL, I just did

configure,
make clean
make
make install

but I had to use version 3.8 of the gnu make

                      Daniel Meyer
                      <dmeyer at cacheconf        To:       mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
                      irm.com>                 cc:       "D. Scott Davidson" <davidson at usgs.gov>
                                               Subject:  Re: [Mapserver-users] Help !!! Mapscript installation nightmare !!
                      08/20/2003 06:29
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Daniel Meyer

Hello D.,

           Take a quick look at the output from "crle", it sounds like
           perhaps the shared library is not in the search path. "ldd"
           may also help you here. If the library is not found in the
           search path you could either add it to via crle or try
           specifying paths manually by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH when
           executing the binary.

           I'm curious, how did you go about installing GDAL? When I
           try to run configure it complains it cannot locate
           gdal-config. I had installed OpenEV which apparently
           contains GDAL but not gdal-config. I grabbed the sources
           for gdal-1.1.9, but I am missing all the required libraries
           need for the different format.

           I guess I will rewind and go through all the processes
           again and put together some binary packages for Solaris 8
           and Solaris 9. I've run into some snags that I am sure
           others would love to avoid.

           Let me know how things work out.

           Daniel.

DSD> Hello,

DSD> I have spent an enormous amount of time trying to get php-mapscript to
DSD> work.
DSD> This has truly been a nightmare.

DSD> I have built php-4.3.2  as part of apache_1.3.26 on Solaris 2.8 .
DSD> This builds fine, and php works.

DSD> I then built and installed mapserver-4.0.

DSD> I configured mapserver with this:

DSD> configure --without-tiff --with-proj=/usr/local/lib --with-gdal
DSD>   --with-wmsclient --with-gd=/usr/lib
--with-php=/usr/local/include/php/