[Mapserver-users] Mapserver

Edward Wiebe edwiebe at codesymphonics.com
Sat Aug 23 23:22:00 EDT 2003

Mark,

I am running MapServer on Win2K and using ASP as the scripting engine. The
only difference from your setup is that I am using MS SQL Server as my
backend database, but that is just a different ADO configuration. I happen
to be running MapServer on the same server as IIS, but it doesn't have to be
since they are two totally separate engines.

Have you reviewed this message from Ed McNierney from the archives?:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0110/msg00296.html

This gives a good understanding of how to use MapServer with ASP scripting.
I am using basically the same method (although I had already implemented it
using the XML object before I found Ed's article, but it performs the same
function, retrieving the results in a single text string). Ed's points
regarding use of the templates is almost identical to what I am doing and it
works great. The only difference is that I place each variable placeholder,
like [img] and [scalebar], on different lines in the template so I can split
them with 'vbcrlf'. It's also easier to read.

Below is the basic ASP code I am using to perform this. Between Ed's message
above and this, I think this should get you going with respect to the
implementation. If you don't have your own servers to host this on, I
wouldn't know how to help you there.

Best regards,

Ed Wiebe

'-- ASP Code Snippet Start --
'Create the XML object
Dim XML
Set XML = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

'Generate the URL to send to MapServer
Dim MapServerURL
MapServerURL = BuildMapServerURL()

'Execute the request
XML.Open "GET", MapServerURL, False
XML.Send

'Retrieve the text string returned
Dim MapServerValuesString
MapServerValueString = XML.responseText

'Cleanup
Set XML = Nothing

'Split the values using vbcrlf
Dim MapServerValuesArray
MapServerValuesArray = Split(MapServerValuesString, vbcrlf)

'Now just load your variables with values from MapServerValuesArray or do
whatever else you want to with it
'Just ignore the first row in the array as it is MapServer's header comment

Function BuildMapServerURL()

	'Your code here for compiling the MapServer URL

End Function
'-- ASP Code Snippet End --

-- Example of template file for retrieving values from MapServer:
[img]
[scalebar]
[legend]
[ref]