[Mapserver-users] compiling MapServer 4 on MacOS X -- summary

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Mon Aug 25 00:16:41 EDT 2003

as much as possible, use darwinports.

I used darwinports available from opendarwin.org, and installed GD 2.x, Freetype 2.x,
curl, PHP 4.3.2 and a bunch of other nonsense using the ports tool. Really simple.
The only caveat, PHP has to be redone --with-regex=system. You can do that by
going into the src directory, make-ing clean, configure-ing again --with-
regex=system, and then make-ing.

The beauty of darwinports is that every MacOS X specific idiosyncracy has been
accounted and provided for in the ports.

Once done, just configure MapServer pointing to the supporting programs stored
under /opt/local/bin (that is where darwinports installs its stuff). Works peachy.

By the way, I was unsuccessful building gdal-1.1.9 and PROJ.4 v 4.4.7 (see separate
email).

As soon as I get my notes in order, I will post this on the wiki.