[Mapserver-users] newbee-questions: clients, data access, dynamic layers, cascading servers

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Wed Aug 27 11:59:35 EDT 2003

The following message was sent by "Frieso ter Haseborg"
<ter-haseborg at sf-datentechnik.de> on Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:36:10 +0200.

> Hello,
>
> we're new to MapServer and web-gis-applications and need some input on
> "getting started".
>
> 1.) What are common open-source web-gis-clients? We just want to check
> some alternatives.

Not sure what you mean, WMS or WFS client or just a web browser?

> 2.) Is it possible to retrieve data from a SQL-Database (Oracle, SQL
> Server, Sybase ASA) with MapServer? If so, are there any how-to's or
> tutorials?

Yes, but it depends on if you are reading from a database with a
"spatial" extension that directly supplies geographic data or if you are
reading simple attributes, such as the x & y coordinates of a point, and
need to create a geographic feature for display.
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PostGIS
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MySQL
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OracleSpatial
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/mapserver-users?query=oracle%3Bspatial&Search=Search&errors=0&maxfiles=50&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=restricttofiles&.cgifields=filelist&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=case
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/mapserver-users?query=ms%3Bsql%3Bserver&Search=Search&errors=0&maxfiles=50&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=restricttofiles&.cgifields=filelist&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=case
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/mapserver-users?query=sybase&Search=Search&errors=0&maxfiles=50&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=restricttofiles&.cgifields=filelist&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=case
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/mapserver-users?query=sde&Search=Search&errors=0&maxfiles=50&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=restricttofiles&.cgifields=filelist&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=case

> 3.) Can I create dynamic layers from the data retrieved with 2.)?

If the data is dynamically handled directly in the RDBMS and MS uses
that data directly, ie. PostGIS then the database handles the "dynamic"
nature of the data and MS simply uses what the database supplies.
If the data comes from a shapefile and you want MS to handle the changes
to the data then you can use some flavor of MapScript to program that.
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/mapserver-users?query=adding%3Bpoints%3Bdynamically&Search=Search&errors=0&maxfiles=50&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=restricttofiles&.cgifields=filelist&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=case
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PerlMapScriptExamples35ex2
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PerlMapScriptExamples35ex8

> 4.) Is it possible to build a MapServer-configuration which serves
> dynamic content (generated with 2. and 3.) to other OGC-WMS-Servers?

AFAIK, yes.
HTH
Lowell