AW: [Mapserver-users] WMS-GetMap problem in 4.0 (works in 3.6.6)

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Aug 27 16:57:09 EDT 2003

Frieso ter Haseborg wrote:

> okay absolute path works. *whooops*
>
> I have to specify an absolute path in my client-map-file. But why? Why
> does this work with MS 3.6.6?

The handling of relative paths has changed between versions 3.6 and 4.0.
  It may be that you are running into a specific exception (or used to
take advantage of an exception).  If you consider this to be a bug you
could file it in bugzilla with a sample mapfile and a description of
your installed directory structure (i.e. where the mapfile is located,
where you expect ../tmp to be located, etc.) and we could investigate.

> And why does the wms-server-map-file work
> (using a relative path) when called directly?

Because the WMS server doesn't need to write to the IMAGEPATH directory,
but the WMS client does.

The WMS client writes the temporary images that it downloads from the
remote WMS server in the IMAGEPATH directory and deletes them as soon as
it's done with them.  So you never see any files in the IMAGEPATH
directory in this case but it is being used.

  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca