[Mapserver-users] WMS-GetMap problem in 4.0 (works in 3.6.6)

Frieso ter Haseborg ter-haseborg at sf-datentechnik.de
Thu Aug 28 06:24:11 EDT 2003

Hmm, still not sure - perhaps only a problem in a newbees head. ;-)

>> And why does the wms-server-map-file work
>> (using a relative path) when called directly?
>Because the WMS server doesn't need to write to the IMAGEPATH
>directory, but the WMS client does.

>The WMS client writes the temporary images that it downloads from the
>remote WMS server in the IMAGEPATH directory and deletes them
>as soon as
>it's done with them.  So you never see any files in the IMAGEPATH
>directory in this case but it is being used.

Okay, so if I access a mapfile with local layers not working with that
template-stuff only performing getMap, no temp-files are needed and the
output is directly served to the clients browser - so IMAGEPATH isn't
used at all.
On accessing a mapfile with wms-layer beside local layers the
wms-layer-image is temporary saved with the *.tmp-extension in IMAGEPATH
- so now the folder IS used.

So imagepath is only used when working with html-templates or wms-layers
in the mapfile. Correct?

TIA
Frieso