[Mapserver-users] Repost: Oracle Spatial: A tip and a request

Erik Erik
Tue Dec 9 04:27:57 EST 2003

I was asked to forward this from Bjarni Thor Pjetursson, because he's having
problems posting with his Web Outlook...

        erik
----------------------
Hi list,
first of all, thanks for making binaries with Oracle support. It makes it a
lot easier to be updated with the newest great features of MapServer.

A tip: If you are thinking of using Oracle for storing your spatial data,
consider using Oracle Locator. Locator gives you 95% of Spatial - only a few
functions and procedures are missing. It ships as part of Oracle 9i Standard
Edition (SE). Compared to Spatial (which requires the enterprise edition),
the price is much lower. MapServer works fine against both.

A request: Since no real enhancements to maporaclespatial.c seems to have
occured in over a year, I would like to test the Oracle support through OGR.
Would it be possible to have OGR with Oracle support built into the binaries
as well?

The biggest problem I have with maporaclespatial.c is a bug which only
allows two columns to be selected from Oracle per layer (the geom column and
one more). I need to access several columns for color, rotation and labeling
etc. And I want to keep the number of queries against the database to a
minimum.

Any thoughts?

Best regards / and keep up the good work!

Bjarni Thor Pjetursson
TietoEnator Consulting