[Mapserver-users] status of bug 270: using CLASS in a raster layer only to produce legend entry

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Dec 18 15:45:20 EST 2003

Emilio Mayorga wrote:

> Thanks. I tried adding an empty STYLE object to the CLASS, but the same
> problem happened. Here's the error message:
> msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named
> 'relief_srtm90_ca'.
> drawGDAL(): Unable to access file. Attempt to classify 24bit image, this
> is unsupported.
>
> Unless there's an easy fix, I think I'll just convert my RGB tiffs to
> color indexed tiffs.

Emilio,

Please always reply via the list...

Based on the error message, it seems that the problem is not a crash,
but a more fundamental problem in MapServer: you can't define a CLASS
for a 24 bit image so you can't use the KEYIMAGE parameter for 24 bit
images.

I'm not sure what the solution to this will be. Let's see what Steve and
Frank think. You might also want to file a bug in bugzilla about this
problem.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca