[Mapserver-users] Zoombox for dummies?

Richard Grenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Wed Dec 24 08:51:19 EST 2003

Mike Reilly wrote:

> Hi:
>
> First of all thanks to all those who volunteer to maintain mapserver.
> It's a testament to their efforts that I've gotten this far along with
> nothing more than the package itself and the parts of the 4.o tutorial
> that are currently finished.
>
> On that note, the part of the 4.0 tutorial that demonstrates how to
> implement a zoombox doesn't seem to exist (from what I can see in my
> copy of the tutorial, at least).  Does anyone have any pointers to
> information on how I can implement this in my current mapserver
> project?  I've searched the archives and the web, but haven't come up
> with much that's helpful.
>
> TIA and Season's Greetings,
> Mike Reilly

There are a couple ways to create a zoom box: with DHTML or a Java
applet. Jan Hartman's map client is one (excellent) DHTML approach - see
the user contributed utilities page:
    http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/contributed.html
jBox is a Java applet, also available on the user contributed utilities
page and documented at:
    http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc.html

Richard Greenwood