[Mapserver-users] Problems with new mapserver install

mapserver at digger.net mapserver at digger.net
Wed Dec 31 17:03:56 EST 2003

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> Are these fairly recent demo applications you've got.

I just downloaded them yesterday, if that's what you mean.  I don't know how
"new" they are, but they are the only two demos I was able to find.

> Case 1 - Basically, you need to ensure the sybmols/ctyhwy.GIF exists.

Alas, it does.

> Case 2 - Now, mapserver may not use GIF images if it wasn't configure to.
> In which case PNG format files would be your other choice.  In this case
> you probably already have ctyhwy.gif, but really need to use .png files.
> After converting to png, you will have to change your SYMBOL declarations
> or your SYMBOLSET file to point to the files using the new extension.

Ok, I did this.  The only change is that now it complains about ctyhwy.png:

  msLoadMap(): General error message. Undefined overlay symbol
"symbols/ctyhwy.png" in class 0, style 0 of layer ctyrdln3_anno.
  msAddImageSymbol(): General error message. Unable to load PNG symbol.

Are there any simpler demos out there, or perhaps some steps to take to test
basic functions to determine what the problem is?

Thanks,
Dave