[Mapserver-users] How to make labels in MS with PostGIS

christian.schuster at rsag.ch christian.schuster at rsag.ch
Tue Feb 4 00:03:05 EST 2003

Hi Paul,

Sorry that I am coming back to you after few days. I am still not able to
make labels. I am a newbie and I think it is a generall understanding
problem of how the map file works. Below you see my layer definitions for
the labels. There I have a big question about it. So I have a table called
'geo3'. In this table I have a column as identifier which is called 'ID'.
Then the second column is of type varcahr(20 and called 'NAME'. The last
one is the geometry column. Now I can draw the map and all. Just the labels
are not working. I am not sure what the tag 'DATA' has to look like. The
way it is now, I just get back the geometry column. But what I would like
is to have the column 'NAME' to use for labeling. If I change the tag
'DATA' to "NAME from geo3" then I would have this. But I do not know how
MapServer knows where to draw the labels. If I change the tag 'DATA' to "*
from geo" then I get an error. So I am quite confused. I also tried so many
times already. if someone could solve my confusion would be really nice.

LAYER
  NAME "labels"

  ### Connect to a remote spatial database
  CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
  CONNECTION "user=*** dbname=myGISdb host=127.0.0.1 port=5432"

  ### Get the labels from the table
  DATA "geom from geo3"
  STATUS ON
  TYPE ANNOTATION

  LABELITEM "name"

  CLASS
    EXPRESSION 'name'
    COLOR -1 -1 -1
    LABEL
      COLOR 0 0 0
      TYPE BITMAP
      SIZE MEDIUM
      POSITION CC
      PARTIALS FALSE
      BUFFER 2
    END # end of label
  END
END

Christian Schuster

Rudolf Schuster AG
Postfach 277
CH - 3000 Bern 11

http://www.rsag.ch
++41 31 348 05 30

             Paul Ramsey
             <pramsey at refracti
             ons.net>                                                   To
                                       christian.schuster at rsag.ch
             31.01.2003 17:18                                           cc
                                       mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Mapserver-users] How to make
                                       labels in MS with PostGIS

Same as with any other data source. Declare a labelitem and add a label
object to your class object. Should be examples in the map file
reference page. The only potential gotcha is that your labelitem
attribute should be given in lower case.

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey