[Mapserver-users] Projection woes, Revisited.

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Tue Feb 4 13:17:41 EST 2003

Ed (and everyone) -

OK... showing my ignorance here. I ALWAYS use pre-compiled binaries (I'm
trying to overcome this personal defect...). Anyway, I'm only beginning to
understand the compilation sequence, and how all the parts fits together...
so, patience please!

When I download the binaries from the Mapserver site, the only PROJ related
file that comes with the distribution is the epsg file. I have this in
C:\PROJ\NAD.

I did download the datum shift files (from remotesensing.org) and simply put
them in the NAD subdirectory, but this doesn't seem to make any difference
(not suprisingly). I'm assuming that when you say that I "need to have these
datum shift files set up and PROJ pointed to them in order to do the shift"
that this is an operation that would occur when compiling the PROJ4 library
prior to compiling MapServer? Have I got that sequence right?

If this is right, why don't the pre-compiled binaries that exist already do
this (just curious)? Seems like datum shifts would be a fairly common
task...

Chip