[Mapserver-users] Projection woes, Revisited.

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Wed Feb 5 15:59:18 EST 2003

Ed,

You are right... now that I know the right answer, going back and re-reading
the documents on the PROJ4 site allowed me to reproduce the PROJ4 directory
you supplied.

I guess what was confusing to me (and I imagine might be to others) is that
you need to compile PROJ4 (and compile it with the extra nadshift target) in
order to get the datum shifting functionality of PROJ4.

At first glance, when downloading the pre-compiled binaries from the MS
site, it appears that all you need to do is put the enclosed epsg file in a
directory called C:\Proj\Nad, and everything will work. What's further
confusing about this, is that this DOES work, until you try to do a datum
shift.

I might suggest to the folks that are responsible for maintaining the site
that they include in the windows binaries section a zip file that contains
the entire built PROJ4 directory (with NAD27<>83 datum shifting support),
with instructions that it should be unzipped to C:\PROJ.

In the meantime, I will add a page to the WIKI.

Chip