[Mapserver-users] WMS Woes

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Thu Feb 6 12:51:43 EST 2003

Folks,

I'm attempting to set up my first WMS server / client, and am running into a
problem: when I try to connect to the WMS Server using a MapServer based WMS
Client, the MapServer just hangs (on the WMS Client end). I never receive an
error, but process just terminates with a standard "IIS Timeout" type
statement.

Everything's going on behind the firewall right now, so you won't be able to
test it. However, I've put up some info at the following address:

http://207.250.243.23/WMS/WMSWoes.html

  Here you will find:
    WMS Server mapfile
    WMS Client mapfile
    XML output of GETCAPABILITIES

My Mapserver version info:

MapServer version 3.6.3 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

I followed the WMS Server and Client How-To. There were a couple parts that
were unclear to me... perhaps these are the problems?

1) For the WMS Server, the example shows that the "wms_onlineresource" value
terminates with an "&". When I set mine up this way, I was unable to
generate a valid XML file with GETCAPABILITIES, so I left it off.

2) On the WMS Client, I'm not sure what to put in the CONNECTION string for
the LAYER. Should it be the name of the WMS Layer, as defined in the
METADATA section, or should it be the Mapser Layer name?

TIA!

Chip