[Mapserver-users] .tiff resolution

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Feb 7 15:15:59 EST 2003

Charlton -

You're suffering from what my friend Bob Frankston calls "premature optimization".

Unless you're planning on a high-volume commercial setup, stop worrying about performance.  And even if you are planning high volume, get it working well first as a prototype, THEN worry about performance.

Just toss all the shapefiles on to your map and see what happens.  There are a variety of performance tweaks you can make to optimize your vector data.

The problem with a pre-generated raster is that it will really only look its best at the exact same viewing scale used to render it.  Raster images that are really rendered line art (like this is) don't rescale well.  Raster images that are continuous-tone, like photographs, can rescale a bit better.

Drawing all those vector graphics isn't that CPU-intensive at all, really, and CPUs are pretty darn fast these days (even the slow ones <g>).

	- Ed