[Mapserver-users] Problem (FWD)

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Wed Feb 12 04:25:49 EST 2003

On Monday 10 February 2003 17:06, Thomas E. Burk wrote:
<...>

> Warning: dl() [function.dl]: Unable to load dynamic library
> '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20020429/php_mapscript.so'
> - libgdal.1.1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> in /var/www/html/mapscript/gmap/htdocs/gmap75.phtml on line 63
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: ms_getversion() in
> /var/www/html/mapscript/gmap/htdocs/gmap75.php3 on line 51

Ciau Florindo,

I think your problem is not really in the php_mapscript.so, but in the gdal
library which php_mapscript.so is trying to load dynamically (see the third
line of the warning, which starts with 'libgdal.1.1.so').
GDAL has been dynamically linked into mapserver, so each time mapserver or
mapscript runs, it will load libgdal.1.1.so. To be able to do this, it uses a
program called ld (the dynamic linker). You can check which libraries a
program or other dynamic library depends on with the following command: ldd
<programname>, e.g. 'ldd php_mapscript.so'. Try this and it will show you
that is uses libgdal.1.1.so, and where ld has found this library. In your
case, probably ld has *not* found it, so it will tell you this.
Now (hopefully) the solution to your problem:
1) you need to run 'ldconfig' after you 'make install' a library, like gdal or
gd. This updates the dynamic linker internal database.
2) this only works if the needed libraries are in ld's search path. So if
simply running ldconfig does not work, check the paths in /etc/ld.conf. The
paths with your libs should be in there.

Btw, Steve Woodbridge recently updated the mapserver wiki page for building
mapserver/mapscript on redhat. See:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RedHat8AndMapserver37 . You
might find these notes helpful.

Btw2: If I remember well, the php configure option 'use-system-regex' has been
canged into '--with-regex=system'. The old option might still work (well, it
seems to as you did not receive an error message on that while compiling
mapscript), but to be shure you might want to use the new option.

Well, era una storia lunga...
I hope it helped you. Otherwise, send a message to the list again :)

Regards,
Vincent Schut.